Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Basing, un-basing, re-basing my Bavarians

Back in 2011 I posted pictures of some of the thirteen Bavarian battalions I had painted. The figures are Old Glory 1st edition, which I like for their animation (more people hate them than love them). Well, not having mounted officers for those units bothered me. I could feel the figures calling out to me from the shelf.

Napoleonic Bavarian 6th Line Infantry Regiment (Old Glory 1st edition figures)

 Eventually I broke down and ordered a Connoisseur miniatures mounted officer for each battalion. This was part of a huge order to Bicorne miniatures, which took months to fill - I spent months dithering over the order too! Then I had to get around to painting the figures, of course, and to face the pain of taking the painted figures off their bases and re-basing.

Now I am finally done.Well, except for the fact I have to sort out flags for the units and import some silfor tufts for the bases. A wargamer's work is never done.

Napoleonic Bavarian Line infantry regiment. Old Glory 1st edition figures with Connoisseur miniatures mounted officer.

Napoleonic Bavarian Line infantry regiment. Old Glory 1st edition figures with Connoisseur miniatures mounted officer.

I have all of the painted figures, which were replaced by a mounted officer, and so, of course, I have to paint more battalions. And so the cycle begins again..

Saturday, January 5, 2013

10mm WW2 British Hamilcar Glider (Pendraken miniatures)

This is a Pendraken 10mm Hamilcar glider. It is photographed next to a couple of German Sd. 222 Armoured Cars, which I have airbrushed with three colour camouflage and then dry brushed.

Pendraken shipped a huge order out to me in Bangladesh. Unfortunately the glider was broken in transit. Pendraken kindly offered to send me a replacement part, for the wing which was broken in the middle, but I was too keen to get started. I used some quick bonding metal filled Araldite to glue the wing parts onto the body. This was far harder than I had expected. The resin warped once it was broken. After a day of messing around I finally got it together. I used "green stuff" to smooth over most of the damage. You don't notice any problems because of the strong black/white pattern.

I undercoated the aircraft with airbrushed Vallejo deep bronze green primer, which is great stuff. Then I sprayed on brown, in the RAF heavy bomber pattern. Next I went back to the green areas and sprayed on Vallejo US olive drab while leaving a border in the original, darker, green. After this I used a darker brown to border the brown areas of camouflage.

I took a sheet of paper and drew around the aircraft body. Then, using a ruler, I put on marks for the start and end points of the D-Day black/white markings. Putting this on the aircraft I was able to get roughly symmetrical patterns. After these were painted on, I printed out a variety of sizes of circles for the roundels. Once I had the right sizes, I drew outlines where they were to be. My handiest painter, Mishma, was tasked with painting the roundels for me. Voila!